The Best String Trimmers in 2023: Unleash Your Gardening Potential
Maintaining a well-groomed lawn requires the right tools, and a string trimmer is an essential addition to any gardener’s arsenal. Also known as weed eaters or grass trimmers, these handheld devices are designed to tackle grass, weeds, and other vegetation in hard-to-reach areas. Whether it’s a gas-powered, electric, or cordless model, string trimmers offer versatility and convenience in achieving a manicured lawn. In this blog, we will explore the functionality, usage, and features to consider when selecting a string trimmer, empowering you to make an informed choice for your lawn care needs.
What is a String Trimmer?
A string trimmer, also known as a weed eater or grass trimmer, is a handheld gardening tool used for cutting and trimming grass, weeds, and other vegetation in areas that are difficult to reach with a lawnmower. It consists of a long shaft with a rotating cutting head at the end, which typically uses a nylon string or line to cut through vegetation. String trimmers are available in gas-powered, electric, or cordless versions, offering versatility and convenience for maintaining a well-manicured lawn.
How to use a String Trimmer?
Using a grass or string trimmer is a straightforward process that can help you achieve a neat and tidy lawn. Here are a few simple steps to follow for the best results:
- Start by wearing safety gear like protective glasses and long pants.
- Ensure the trimmer is fueled or charged, depending on its power source.
- Adjust the cutting height and angle to your preference.
- Hold the trimmer with a firm grip and start it according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Move the trimmer in a steady and controlled manner, making sure to overlap each pass for even coverage.
- Use a vertical position for edging and a slightly tilted position for trimming around obstacles.
- Take breaks when needed, and clean the trimmer after use.
By following these steps, you can effectively use a grass or string trimmer to maintain a well-groomed lawn.
What to look for in a string trimmer?
The power source of a string trimmer is a crucial feature to consider. Gas-powered trimmers offer maximum power and freedom of movement but require fuel and maintenance. Electric trimmers, both corded and cordless, are generally quieter, more eco-friendly, and require less maintenance, although corded trimmers have limited mobility.
The cutting width determines how much area the trimmer can cover in one pass. A wider cutting width can save time and effort, especially for larger lawns or areas with dense vegetation. However, a narrower cutting width may be more manoeuvrable in tight spaces.
Cutting Line Diameter
The cutting line diameter affects the trimmer’s cutting performance. Thicker lines can handle tougher vegetation, while thinner lines are suitable for lighter trimming tasks. Some trimmers have adjustable line thickness, offering flexibility for different cutting needs.
Line Feed System
The line feed system determines how the cutting line is advanced as it wears down. Automatic line feed systems automatically release more lines when needed, ensuring a continuous cutting experience without manual adjustments. Bump feed systems require the user to tap the trimmer head on the ground to release more lines.
Adjustable Shaft and Handle
String trimmers with adjustable shafts and handles provide ergonomic benefits and customizable comfort. These features allow users to adjust the length and angle of the trimmer to suit their height and working posture, reducing strain and fatigue during extended use.
Some trimmers offer multiple cutting modes, such as trimming, edging, and even brush cutting. These versatile trimmers allow for more diverse lawn care applications and provide the flexibility to tackle various tasks with a single tool.
Weight and Balance
Consider the weight and balance of the trimmer, as it can impact user comfort and control. Lighter trimmers are generally easier to maneuver, while a well-balanced design can help reduce fatigue during prolonged use.
Look for safety features like a guard or shield that protects the user from flying debris, as well as a safety switch or trigger lock that prevents accidental starts.
Battery Life and Charging Time (for cordless trimmers)
If opting for a cordless trimmer, consider the battery life and charging time. Longer battery life allows for extended use without interruptions, while shorter charging times minimize downtime between uses.
Best String Trimmers in 2023
We’ve compiled a list of the most popular string trimmers among our clients in 2023. Learn more about each trimmer in the sections below.
DeWalt DCMAS5713N 54V Flexvolt Split Boom Strimmer Motor Unit (Body Only)
A powerful and versatile tool designed for efficient trimming and clearing tasks. With a 54V Flexvolt battery system, it offers cordless convenience and extended runtime. The split boom design allows for easy transportation and storage, while the body-only configuration means it doesn’t come with a battery or charger, making it suitable for those who already own compatible DeWalt tools. Overall, this motor unit delivers reliable performance and flexibility for professional landscapers and homeowners alike.
- 54V Flexvolt System: compatible with the full 54V battery range.
- High-efficiency brushless motor: delivers up to 60mins runtime (9.0Ah).
- 38cm swath and 2.4mm twisted line: for efficient cutting performance.
- Attachment capable split boom: complimented by String Trimmer, Pole Saw, Pole Hedge and Brush cutter heads (not included).
- Well-balanced design and split shaft: for compact storage and easy transportation.
- Voltage: 54V
- Secondary Handle: Yes
- Battery Capacity: 9 Ah
- Product Weight: 5.4 Kg
- Line Diameter: 2 mm
- Line Cutting Speed: 4650-5800 rpm
- Cutting Width: 38 mm
Hyundai HYFT56 160cc 4-Stroke Petrol Wheeled Trimmer 56cm
The Hyundai HYFT56 160cc 4-Stroke Petrol Wheeled Trimmer is a robust and efficient gardening tool designed for tackling tough vegetation. Powered by a 160cc 4-stroke petrol engine, it offers reliable performance and eliminates the need for mixing fuel and oil. The wheeled design provides stability and manoeuvrability, while the 56cm cutting width allows for efficient trimming over larger areas. Overall, this Hyundai trimmer is a reliable choice for those seeking a powerful and versatile solution for maintaining their outdoor spaces.
- Heavy duty line trimmer: For larger areas of the level, sloping or uneven ground.
- 350mm (14in) diameter wheels: Aiding movement over difficult and uneven terrain.
- 5.5hp Hyundai engine: Providing ample power for cutting dense grass and scrubbing.
- Adjustable cutting heights: To suit the cutting requirements at hand.
- Soft grip handle: For a comfortable cutting experience.
- Trimmer Cutting Width: 560mm
- Engine Capacity: 160cc
- Fuel Capacity (ml): 900ml
- Handles: Foldable for storage and transportation
- Noise @ 7m (dB): 84
- Oil Capacity: 500ml
- Trimmer Line: 4mm
- Wheels: 14” heavy duty
- Fuel Type: Petrol
Milwaukee M18 BLLT-0 18V Brushless Line Trimmer (Body Only)
The Milwaukee M18 BLLT-0 18V Brushless Line Trimmer is a high-quality, cordless tool designed for precise trimming and edging tasks. Equipped with a brushless motor, it delivers increased power and efficiency while extending the tool’s overall lifespan. The body-only configuration means it does not come with a battery or charger, making it suitable for individuals who already own other Milwaukee M18 tools. With its ergonomic design and adjustable cutting head, this line trimmer offers excellent control and versatility for both professional landscapers and homeowners.
M18 BLLT-0 Features
- Quick trimming: Clears thick brush and reaches full throttle in under 1 second.
- Two operating modes: Up to 4600 RPM in the first mode and 6200 RPM in the second mode.
- The 2-speed variable trigger: allows the user to choose between higher performance or extended run time.
- Adjustable cutting swath of 35 cm – 40 cm
- Up to 1 hour of run time with M18™ HIGH OUTPUT™ 8.0 Ah battery pack.
- Easy load trimmer head and adjustable auxiliary handle for optimum user comfort and control.
- Brushless motor, REDLITHIUM™ battery pack and REDLINK™ electronic deliver power, run time and durability.
M18 BLLT-0 Specification
- Voltage (V): 18
- Battery type: Li-ion
- Cutting line diameter (mm): 2.4
- Cutting path width [cm]: 40
- Standard equipment: 1 x steel pin, 1 x T30 torx key, 1 x trimmer line
- Weight with battery pack (EPTA) (kg): 5.3 (M18 HB8)
Makita DUR190LZX3 18V LXT Brushless Loop Handle Line Trimmer (Body Only)
The Makita DUR190LZX3 18V LXT Brushless Loop Handle Line Trimmer is a high-performance tool designed for efficient trimming and edging of grass and vegetation. It features a brushless motor that provides increased power, longer runtime, and extended tool life. The loop handle design offers comfortable and precise control during operation. This line trimmer is a body-only configuration, meaning it does not come with a battery or charger, making it suitable for those who already own other Makita 18V LXT tools. With its durability and versatility, it is an excellent choice for both professional landscapers and DIY enthusiasts.
- Tool-free shaft locks for changing blades/lines.
- ADT technology adjusts speed and power during operation for high performance.
- AFT technology shuts down the engine without the blade rotating when it is under strain.
- The 3-speed options (Low: 3,500 RPM, Medium: 5,100 RPM, High: 6,000 RPM) allow the user to adjust the speed of the application.
- XPT technology was created to improve dust and water resistance for working in severe working conditions.
- Electric brake for maximum productivity and increased user safety.
- Soft start function for greater engine protection.
- Voltage: 18v LXT
- Spindle Size: M10 x 1.25 L
- Cutting Diameter (Max.): 300 mm
- No Load Speed: 3,500 / 5,100 / 6,000 rpm
- Net Weight: 3.1 – 3.4 kg
- Overall Length (excl. Cutting Tool): 1,775 mm
- Nylon Cord Diameter: 2.0 – 2.4 mm
- Noise Sound Pressure: 77 dB(A)
- Noise Sound Power: 91.6 dB(A)
- Noise K Factor: 3.9 dB(A)
- Vibration K Factor: 1.5 m/sec²
- Vibration No Load: 2.5 m/sec²
Makita DUR368AZ Twin 18V LXT Brushless Brush Cutter (Body Only)
The Makita DUR368AZ Twin 18V LXT Brushless Brush Cutter is a powerful and versatile tool designed for heavy-duty cutting and clearing tasks. With its twin 18V LXT brushless motors, it offers exceptional cutting performance and extended runtime. The brush cutter features a durable and adjustable cutting blade, allowing you to tackle thick vegetation with ease. This model comes with a body-only configuration, meaning it does not include a battery or charger, making it suitable for individuals who already own compatible Makita 18V LXT tools. Overall, the Makita DUR368AZ is a reliable and efficient choice for professional landscapers and those with demanding clearing needs.
- Active Feedback Sensing Technology (AFT): Shuts down the tool if the rotation speed suddenly slows down
- Automatic Torque Drive Technology: Automatically changes the cutting speed according to load condition for optimum operation
- Dual battery fuel gauge
- Electronic current limiter for overload protection.
- Electric brake
- Electronic 3-speed (Hi/Med/Lo)
- Soft start feature.
- Constant speed control
- Reverse switch for easy removal of grass clippings stuck.
- Ergonomic handlebar of off-set design
- Battery Type: Lithium-ion
- Spindle Size: M10 x 1.25mm Left
- Noise sound pressure: 76.4 dB(A)
- Net weight: 4.1 – 4.7 kg
- Noise K factor: 1.6 dB(A)
- Vibration K factor: 1.5 m/sec²
- No Load Speed (Med): 5300 rpm
- Voltage: 36 (18v x2) v
- Noise sound power: 89 dB(A)
- Cutting diameter: 350 mm
- No Load Speed (Hi): 6500 rpm
- No Load Speed (Lo): 3500 rpm
- Vibration: Nylon Cutting Head: 2.5 m/sec²
How do I start a gas-powered string trimmer?
To start a gas-powered string trimmer, follow these steps:
- Check the fuel level: Ensure there is enough fuel in the trimmer’s tank. If needed, mix the appropriate fuel and oil ratio as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Prime the engine: Locate the primer bulb on the trimmer’s engine. Press and release it several times to draw fuel into the carburettor, typically until you see fuel in the bulb.
- Set the choke: Locate the choke lever or switch, usually near the air filter. Move it to the “choke” or “start” position. This helps enrich the fuel mixture for easier starting.
- Position the trimmer: Place the trimmer on a flat surface outdoors, away from any flammable materials.
- Pull the starter cord: Grasp the trimmer’s handle firmly and pull the starter cord with a smooth and swift motion. Repeat as needed until the engine starts.
- Warm up the engine: Once the engine starts, let it run for a few moments on a choke to warm up. Then, gradually move the choke lever to the “run” position.
- Adjust the throttle: Set the throttle to the desired speed for cutting or trimming. Many trimmers have a variable throttle trigger or separate throttle control.
Always consult the specific starting instructions provided by the manufacturer for your particular gas-powered string trimmer, as starting procedures may vary slightly between models. Additionally, ensure you follow proper safety precautions and guidelines while operating the trimmer.
How do I replace the cutting line on a string trimmer?
To replace the cutting line on a string trimmer, follow these steps:
- Turn off the trimmer: Disconnect the power source or turn off the engine of the trimmer to prevent any accidental starts.
- Remove the trimmer head: Depending on the trimmer model, you may need to unscrew a retaining cap or press tabs to release the trimmer head. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for removing the head.
- Remove the old line: Once the trimmer head is detached, carefully remove any remaining pieces of the old cutting line.
- Prepare the new line: Cut a suitable length of replacement cutting line, following the manufacturer’s recommendations. Ensure it matches the diameter and type of line recommended for your trimmer.
- Thread the new line: Insert the ends of the cutting line into the trimmer head’s designated anchor points or notches. Follow any directional arrows or guides provided by the manufacturer.
- Wind the line: Wind the cutting line onto the trimmer head, following the designated winding pattern or direction indicated by the manufacturer. Take care to wind the line tightly and evenly.
- Secure the line: Once the line is wound, feed the ends through the trimmer head’s exit holes or notches. Reattach the trimmer head onto the trimmer, ensuring it is securely fastened.
- Test the line: Give the trimmer head a gentle pull to confirm that the line is properly secured and will feed out during operation.
Remember to consult the trimmer’s manual or the manufacturer’s instructions specific to your model, as the process of replacing the cutting line can vary. Taking the time to correctly install a new cutting line ensures optimal cutting performance and safer operation.
Can I use a string trimmer for edging?
Yes, you can use a string trimmer for edging purposes. Many string trimmers feature an edging mode or have adjustable heads that allow you to rotate them vertically for precise edging along sidewalks, driveways, or landscape borders. By positioning the trimmer at a slight angle, you can create clean and defined edges, giving your lawn a polished appearance. However, it’s important to exercise caution to avoid damaging any adjacent surfaces or plants while edging with a string trimmer.
In conclusion, a string trimmer is an invaluable tool for maintaining a neat and tidy lawn, reaching areas that are inaccessible to lawnmowers. By following the simple steps for effective usage, you can effortlessly trim and edge your lawn, achieving professional-looking results. When choosing a string trimmer, carefully consider factors such as the power source, cutting width, cutting line diameter, line feed system, adjustable shaft and handle, cutting modes, weight and balance, safety features, and battery life (for cordless models). By selecting a trimmer that aligns with your specific requirements, you can enjoy the convenience and efficiency it brings to your lawn care routine, ensuring a well-manicured and visually appealing outdoor space.